Take a look at what has happened this last week with links from around the web and around the world for your reading pleasure.
From the Web: Important and/or fun thoughts from around the web this past week.
The Joy of The Christian Life:
- Sisters, Jesus Is Not Your Cheerleader: While written to women, there are some important notes that all of us could take from this article.
- What If I Don’t Want to Sing?: We’ve all been there. We arrive at church frustrated and exhausted and not really in the mood to sin; so what do we do?
- A Case for Christian Magnamity: Kevin DeYoung draws our attention to an important concept in the Christian life.
- Thanksgiving as Theological Act: What Does It Mean to Give Thanks?: Al Mohler informs readers about the theology of the act of giving thanks.
The Joy of Scripture:
- On a New ‘Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible’: I love different study Bibles and always look forward to diving into a new one when it is published. Here is one that looks at the historical context of Scripture.
- A Paying Customer’s Review of the ESV’s Reader’s Set: A good review by someone who shelled out the money for the new ESV Reader’s Bible set. Mine arrived just a week ago, and I must say, I am quite pleased and John Chester captures many of my own thoughts in his review.
The Joy of Reading:
- Paradies Lagardere’s Read and Return Program: If you are like some, frequently in and out of airports, here’s a program you should know about. Buy a book. Read a book. Return a book. Not only do you get to read while traveling, but you can save some money too.
- The Long Haul: 8 Books Worth the Time: Long books can be intimidating, but I agree with the ones on this list. If you are going to invest the time, these ones are totally worth it.
The Joy of Writing (Writing Tips and Instruments):
- Review: Brause Dip Pen Set: At some point many of us have been interested in calligraphy, but few have followed through to learn it. How about getting started now? Gourmet Pens does a review on a good starter kit for new writers.
- 4 Spiritual Disciplines of a Christian Author: George Guthrie offers some focus for every Christian author.
- 14 Writing Gifts Under $40: This list includes some great recommendations for writers, from journals to pens to ink.
- News: Brexit’s Impact on Pelikan Pricing: A two-fold article that covers the costs of Pelikan pens while helping to understand the Brexit vote earlier this year.
- Photographer Risks Getting Burn to Capture . . . a Single Shot: Here is an incredible photo shot by Mike Mezeul.
- Notebook Review: Moo Notebook: The Gentleman Stationer reviews a tremendously wonderful notebook. I’m excited for it!
The Joy of Life:
- Twinkling Solar Bike Path Inspired by Vincent Van Gogh’s Starry Night Pops Up in the Netherlands: Starry Night has been my favorite painting for as long as I can remember. I love when it is displayed in different ways. How spectacular and creative though to have a bike path illuminated with its patterns at night?
- Oxford Dictionaries’ Word of the Year: This year’s pick says a lot about the state of our culture.
- 100 Photos: Time Magazine picks one of the most influential photographs of all time. Whether you agree or not, the list provides some fascinating photos.
- Donald Trump and the Great Projection: Some post-election thoughts. It’s an interesting read at the very least.
From the Projects: Here is a list of what I apparently did this week as well as some links to the works of my co-collaborators on various projects.
Soli Deo Gloria (solideogloria.me):