Links from around the web and around the world for your reading pleasure.
From the Web: Important and/or fun thoughts from around the web this past week.
The Joy of The Christian Life:
- Top 16 Books of 2016: Tony Reinke has released his list of top books for this year and it is filled with some good ones. It’s good list to pull your next reading list from.
- Five Personal Leadership Lessons I’ve Learned the Hard Way: Some good insights from Thoma Rainer.
- Meet the Christian Who Transformed the U.S. Mint: A biography of Ed Moy, director of the U.S. Mint and how his Christian worldview impacted job satisfaction.
- Why churches might need to excommunicate ‘affirming’ members of the congregation: Denny Burke discusses whether or not homosexuality is of first level importance or second level importance (and describes the difference between both).
- The Problem With Our Holly Jolly Christmas Songs: Some interesting points to ponder from Russell Moore.
- The Travails of Lieutenant Marty: Carl Trueman uses the army’s own documents to explain the conflicting worldview that is transgenderism.
- 5 Christian Cliches That Need to Die: Can’t argue with this list.
The Joy of Scripture & Preaching:
- A Congregant’s Guide to Preaching: Preaching isn’t just about the preacher delivering, but also about the listeners hearing.
The Joy of Reading:
- Authors, Awaken~ 6 Steps to Re-Take Your Libraries: Practical insights for authors to play an active role in resurrecting the importance of libraries.
- 10 Amazing Wedding Ideas for Literary Lovers: The title says it all!
- 9 Home Decorating Tips for Bookworms: From 1 book to 1,000 books, this post offers great ideas for home libraries of any size.
- For Sale: Charles Dickens’ Bleak House Mansion: OK, so this one fascinates me simply because I am trying to work my way through Bleak House this month (and most likely next month as well).
The Joy of Writing (Writing Tips and Instruments):
- Oldwin Art Deco Fountain Pen in Bleu Automne: Here is a wonderful review of a gorgeous fountain pen from the Mora Stylos shop in Paris.
- Endangered Words: 6 words that are in danger of being made extinct.
- 12 new Diamine Shimmertastic Colors: I received my first Diamine ink last week and what little I have used it has impressed me immensely. It seems to be a wonderful ink.
- A Writer’s Life: Hard Choices We All Face: Like any discipline, writing comes with opportunity costs that must be considered if one is to do it well.
The Joy of Life:
- Otherworldly Pencil Sculptures by Jennifer Maestre: Some fascinating sculptures using pencils and pencil shavings.
- How Casinos Enable Gambling Addicts: It’s a long read full of tragic stories, but also with some scary thoughts about the potential targeting by casinos towards gambling addicts.
- 6 Frugal Gifts Every Travel Needs: I usually overlook these lists as basic and mediocre, but this is a good list with some practical ideas.
- Apple Campus 2 – December 2016 Update: Progress continues to be made on Apple’s new campus construction.
From the Projects: Here is a list of what I apparently did this week as well as some links to the works of my co-collaborators on various projects.
Soli Deo Gloria (solideogloria.me):