Links from around the web and around the world for your reading pleasure.
From the Web: Important and/or fun thoughts from around the web this past week.
World Magazine: World Magazine has several different stories looking back at noteworthy news for 2016. The reviews offer an important, and memorable, view of what has taken place.
The Joy of The Christian Life:
- What Does the X in Xmas Mean?: R.C. Sproul succinctly tackles this topic.
- Mud is Muddy: How to Annoy Unbelievers Less This Christmas: It’s something we all face; Christmas with unbelievers; and as much as you dread your time with them, they also dread their time with you.
- Why do missionaries take such embarrassing photos?: There are some valid points in here that few consider.
- Why Oxford Dictionary’s 2016 Word of the Year Matters: The decision to choose post-truth as the word of the year indicates much about our culture.
- Christians Rally for Missionary Jailed in Turkey: This story draws our attention to both this pastor and his family and the dire situation when government wields its control as a weapon of punishment with little accountability.
- Getting to Know D.A. Carson: You would benefit to read this article about D.A. Carson.
- O Disrupted Night: George Guthrie takes readers through the story of Christ’s birth with greater detail.
The Joy of Reading:
- London: 10 Literary Gems You have to Check Out: Next time you’re in London check out any (or all) of these book-related hangouts.
- Drop Everything and Read: one man shares his commitment to read everyday, knowing that if we save it until we have time we will never read.
The Joy of Writing (Writing Tips and Instruments):
- 6 Must-Have Desktop Apps for Aspiring Writers: This is actually a pretty good list and includes many that I use on a regular basis. I am a little surprised that it does not include Evernote or Vellum though.
- How to Be More Creative: Use This Method to Manage Writing Projects: This would work not just for writing, but many projects.
- Ink Review: Robert Oster Fire & Ice: This is a beautiful ink color.
- Can You DIY Your Self-Published Book? This Writer Says Yes: This isn’t just a good article to answer that question, but offers some good tips and evaluates what you do yourself versus when it is worth it the extra cost for someone else to do it.
The Joy of Life:
- If the Moon Were One Pixel: This is a fascinating depiction of the size and distance of our solar system based on a moon that is one pixel in diameter.
- My Fellow Liberals, I’m Tired of You: There are no words to describe this reader’s frustration of the antagonism and activism that accompany the left.
- Air Baltic Plan Ballet: To celebrate the arrival of their new plane, Air Baltic performed a ballet with it.
From the Projects: Here is a list of what I apparently did this week as well as some links to the works of my co-collaborators on various projects.
Soli Deo Gloria (solideogloria.me):